Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Charlie RIP, Portugal and Germany

Hello again! Been a month with a lot of travel, but started on a sad note as the wee boy budgie had to be put to sleep as he was obviously suffering. He was a tame wee thing and will be missed. His companion Kenny we decided needed a new home as he couldn't have coped on his own, so we took him to a place in Kirkcaldy to be rehomed. I hope he is happier there as he was always wanting company and I don't think he'd met a female before..will check up on his whereabouts at the shop we took him to, was assured he'd have comapny and flying possibilty. 

The 8 night holiday to Albufeira in Portugal went as expected, very, very warm. Nice hotel near centre of old town, time goes so quick when you least want it to! One stressful day was when we got a Bolt Taxi to Vilamoura, and I left my phone in the back seat, dozy bastard. I noticed about 30 seconds after getting out the car, but by then car gone, tried calling number but the dozy owner had it on silent, even couldn't track it as battery saver on! Plus I couldn't remember details of the Bolt pickup which were on the missing phone! Needless to say the Vilamoura trip wasn't happy, nice place though. A friendly Uber driver dropped us at a police station, BP almost arrested for trespass. 

Anyway we got back to Albufeira, then went to police station there via another Bolt taxi, the driver taking there took a few details and said he'd do what he could. While waiting in the police station for interview got messgae to BP phone from driver of car I lost phone in. He brought it to me from Lagos, best 50 euro I spent and a lesson not to be dozy in future. 

A couple of nights back home, then it was on to the next trip, a flight with KLM via Amsterdam to Stuttgart, a massive stress as only an hour between flights, made it but wouldn't put myself through it again. Schipol is a massive airport and the Dutch aren't known for their friendly, carefree nature. 

In Stuttgart stayed at the Park Hotel near the airport, very nice, met up with Oliver in Ackermanns in  Stuttgart-West. Next day it was on to Heidelberg (Flix bus) for 2 nights near the Hauptbahnhof and the Heidelberger Herbstfest. Was very good, an ACDC tribute band (Dirty Deeds) playing only Bon Scott era songs were superb. At Vetters you got a litre bottle of  strong beer for takeaway for 4 €, so we had a few! Weather was a bit too good, no wind, no clouds, no rain, just pure hot sunshine, which is good for a while but oppressive for those likely to burn. 

Went back then to Stuttgart (on Flix train) and spent the Monday afteroon at the Cannstatter Wasen, went on the ghost trains, not the scary rides! Had a few large beers than headed back to an Ibis hotel near airport. 

Was a nice month, apart from the beginning, now budgie free for a while, will see how long it lasts.  

Loading of photos a problem with my crap PC now, I post this, but will hopefully update with photos later..seems to work now though. I need to upgrade everything, everything..

No comments: